Saturday, June 13, 2009

Summer Wines

I love to have wine with my meals and when entertaining. I mostly drink reds, however in the Summer, most of my favorite reds are just to heavy for the heat. I thought I would share some of my favorite wines for summer.

I was lucky enough to be out on the West Coast for the last three years and tried to get up to the Central Coast. One of my favorite wineries that focuses mainly on white wines is Laetitia, located in the Arroya Grande Valley. My two favorites which aren't very expensive and great when chilled on a hot day or serve with appetizers are their Estate Pinot Blanc which is crisp with a hint of papaya and blood orange. The other is their Estate Pinot Gris, which has wonderful citrus aromas. You can purchase these wines from there website: http://www.laetitiawine.com/.

Another of my favorites is made right here in the Midwest. It's Wollersheim's Prairie Fume. This is a very light crisp, semi-dry white with hint of citrus and peach. Perfect with fish, salads and appetizers. This also is an inexpensive white that can be purchased from their website: http://www.wollersheim.com/. If you are in Wisconsin, you should check out this winery. They also sell some good estate grown wines.

The last few wines that I am recommending are organic wines from Mendocino, California. If you ever are up in the Napa or Sonoma wine area, take some time to head up to Mendocino. It's a beautiful drive through orchards and redwoods. Once you get to the coast, you might think you are back on the East Coast since it is a rugged terrain with cliffs and beautiful views of the ocean. Emily, Greta and I met Marth, one owners of Girasole at Uncommon Ground's farmers market (if you live in the city of Chicago, be sure to check this out).


Martha was such a delight and it was great talking with her about the happenings in the Mendocino area. I still have the little bee sticker she was handing out. Girasole, is a family owned vineyard hace been farming organically since 1955 (Organically Certified since 1979). Check out there website for more information about the winery and organic farming, http://www.girasolevineyards.com/. The two wines I tried were their new release Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The Chardonnay is medium bodied with wonderful flavors of vanilla and nectarines. Perfect for a summer day or evening!

To finish off, Girasole's Pinot Noir, is a delightful red with aromas of spice and oak. Not too heavy, but can hold its own with whatever you're grilling. The best thing about these wines, in addition to being organic, is that you can purchase from Whole Foods for a great price. So pick up one of these great wines, pour yourself a glass, sit back and enjoy the summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment